trimming layups

Subject: trimming layups
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:38:12
Another snippet on trimming layups.

I found that Homebase are selling (at 7.79 pounds) spare diamond-edge
blades for a Plasplugs tile cutting machine. The blade is only 80mm
diameter, but it has a 22.2mm centre hole which will fit a 115mm
angle-grinder (like my Bosch PWS 7-115) and is rated up to 19100 rpm
(most 115mm angle-grinders turn at 10000 or 11000 rpm).

I haven't yet made any aeroplane layps to try it on, but on the raw
edges of my Northwick trailer (supplied as a semi-kit) it makes a
much cleaner cut with a narrower kerf than the usual fibre-type
angle-grinder cutting wheel. Much depends, of course, on the
steadiness of the hand!

Since my purchase I discovered that Machine Mart also do diamond-edge
wheels specifically for angle-grinders - in fact they list a 100mm
one for only 6.99. That (like the Plasplugs one) is intended for wet
cutting of tiles, but I guess it would be OK on glass layups without
coolant. If you don't like that, they also have a 115mm
general-purpose dry-cutting diamond wheel at 12.87, or a deluxe
laser-bonded one at 25.79.

Obviously the size and weight of an angle-grinder make it unsuitable
for fine work, but for bigger jobs it seems an attractive option. On
the negative side, the risk of serious damage to a wanted area is
high if it gets out of control, and of course lung protection is
essential as the dust flying off is full of both resin and glass
particles.

regards

Rowland
           ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...