Re: Flying: Plenum chamber mod.

Subject: Re: Flying: Plenum chamber mod.
From: Klaus Dietrich <kdietric@at.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:24:58

Alan,
Difference with the plenum chamber is about 100-200 RPM depending on the
outside temperature. The greatest difference you have is on a hot summer
day (>25C) after taxiing. Under such conditions I had a static RPM drop
of > 200 RPM as the temp at the carbs got up to 60C. With the plenum
chamber installed, you'll always get the temp down to outside
temperature.
Difficult to measure the improvements in climb, but again on hot
conditions the improvement, especially at the initial climb phase, is
significant. Takeoff roll may be reduced by up to 30-50m and initial
climb rate will improve by 50-80 ft/min.
I have also the impression, that with the mod I got a slight improvement
of cruise performance and consumption.
Overall it's a very worthwhile mod which is reasonably easy to install
also on a finished plane.

All the best
Klaus