Debate: Conventional tail dragger

Subject: Debate: Conventional tail dragger
From: 11322@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:15:40
there will probably not be a debate on this subject - it is too much of a
"tea or coffee" - type question. However here is the comment from a "late
convert" - I converted from monowheel to trigear after three ground loops.

I am convinced there is a range of behaviour with monwheel Europas - from
very benign to bitchy. I've flown very friendly behaving Europas and on the
other side such bitches as mine where every (!) landing resulted in a ground
loop. The factors seem to be CoG, length of outriggers, pressure in main
tyre,
tension of springs at tailwheel. Anyway, after a testpilot flew mine into
the
grass I decided to go trigear hoping to finally get an aeroplane that can be
flown sweatlessly.

The main points against the Trigear are: loss of performance and looks.
These
points are outweighed by ease of handling (!!), no more fear of
gear-up-landings
and.... looks and performance. Strange thing, but I didn't loose a knot and
the looks will be OK, too, once Andy @ Europa has finished work on the speed
kit (fairings) for the trigear.

(see also: http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/europa81)

More benefits of the Trigear are: added room in cabin (the centre tunnel can
be used for other things than dunlops), electrical flaps (ask a Monowheeler
how much he enjoys taking off at a high altitude airport with 27 deg flaps)
and mechanical simplicity as there are no more moving parts in the under-
carriage. Passengers prefer the trigear over the monowheel as the outriggers
just cannot convince them.

The Europa Trigear kit is of high quality design and manifacture. It flies
and
handles very similar to a benign Cessna - just faster and more economical.

Sincerely,

<Thomas wish-you-a-happy-new-year Scherer>