Conventional tail dragger

Subject: Conventional tail dragger
From: Paul McAllister <pma@obtero.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:03:00
Hi all,
At the risk of sparking a debate I was wondering about the merits of
building my Europa as a conventional tail dragger rather that a mono wheel.

What got me thinking about this was a landing I did at Niagara Falls
International after a rather long cross country. (Any where takes rather a
long time in my C150).  On this particular day the winds were 25 kts.
gusting to 32 kts. and while it was more or less down the runway, the ground
handling was a bit of a handful.  I think my mono wheel Europa would have
been very difficult in this situation.

Why not just a tri gear ?.  A couple of not particularly strong reasons.
Two wheels instead of three up front would represent less weight and less
drag, but that's about it.

Any thoughts from you fellow "Europan's" out there ?

Regards,  Paul McAllister (363)