Re: RE: Battery size

Subject: Re: RE: Battery size
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:15:46
We have sold very succesfully an 8 amphr battery that has been used by many
owners of Jabiru and 912 powered aircraft, for starting purposes. The
battery weighs a miserly 2.8 kgs compared to my existing battery which was
already light at 4.8 kgs. The itty bitty battery costs five pounds ($8) more
than its big brother but its the cheapest 4.4 lbs of weight saving on the
plane. Just imagine if you could reduce the weight of a Europa by 100 lbs
for only 180 dollars. I think everyone would go for it.

8 amphr batteries can work but I only sell them where weight is
critical. Cranking current is better than on some 25 amphr batteries but if
the engine doesn't start quick its not going to start at all. They're also
not very good in the testing stage when people have their electics on
without running the engine. If the electrical charging system fails then
there is only 8 amhr of backup.

erry

                                                lts@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown