Re: Europa ant the WTO

Subject: Re: Europa ant the WTO
From: Daniel Davids <ddavids@seanet.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:17:59
I don't want to start a political debate on the list, but the comments about
what's going on re the WTO here in Seattle are way off the mark. Quickly,
the protestors are *not* against world trade. That's absurd. Here's some of
what they *are* concerned about (according to abcnews.com.):

----------

SWEATSHOPS - Labor groups including the AFL-CIO and Teamsters say the World
Trade Organization's push for free trade encourages developing countries to
exploit one of their biggest advantages: a large pool of workers willing to
accept abysmal working conditions and low pay.

FOOD SECURITY - Farmers in many countries worry that the WTO's goal of
reducing tariffs on imported food will threaten farmers' livelihoods and
endanger the security of heavy food-importing nations.

ENVIRONMENT - Demonstrators say the organization contributes to the deaths
of thousands of sea turtles every year. They cite a WTO trade-dispute panel
that ruled last year in favor of Southeast Asian countries that challenged a
U.S. law requiring turtle-excluding devices on boats selling shrimp to the
United States.

CHINA AND HUMAN RIGHTS - The Clinton administration supports China's recent
bid to join the WTO, saying membership will boost China's economy and bring
it into line with Western standards of human rights. But labor and
human-rights activists say China is likely to continue human-rights abuses.

Obviously, even half-jokingly, the Europa airplane is or would not be a bone
of contention. Although you may consider your hangar to be a sweatshop
during the bird's construction! Certainly, the wages are paltry.

 - Dan Davids
Seattle