Re: Europa flying cost/hour

Subject: Re: Europa flying cost/hour
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:31:41
Hi Bill,

The biggest expense for me this year was insurance. I have around 300 hours
total time - about 1/3rd of that in complex type (Bonanza) and around 50
hours taildragger time. I only had 2 hours check ride time in a Europa
however so my insurance was around $1,800 this year. I hope to do 100 hours
in this 'insurance year'. It should go down once I get a bit more time in it
(assuming no claim I guess!) and I have heard more experienced pilots getting
it for around $1,200 a year.

Fuel here is $2 a gallon (incl. tax) and I burn 3 gallons an hour, so my
actual direct costs are $6 an hour.

I take it you are a US builder so no landing fees. The state tax office in
Topeka also said property tax was not applicable to a homebuilt - at least
here in Kansas.

I'm lucky with hangarage as a friend has loaned me his empty hangar but
typically it could cost you $120 - $180 a month here in Kansas.

You might also want to bear in mind the engine TBO which I think is at 1,200
hours if my memory serves me right. Think you trade in the old one for a new
one? I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.

Hope that helps.

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas