resin portioning methods [was: electronic scales]

Subject: resin portioning methods [was: electronic scales]
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:39:30

>If I may ask, what made you abandon the homebuilt balance

Jan - I haven't entirely abandoned the notion. Its elegant cheapness
appeals to me. But the crucial word in my earlier post is convenience.

I don't think I would be able to decant resin straight out of the 3kg
containers it comes in with sufficient precision. So, it would have
to go into a smaller wide-mouth container that I could get a large
syringe into for metering the last few drops. So now I have 3
different containers (original, smaller, syringe) with resin in,
likewise for hardener.

Next, I'm not sure about being able to get the batch size right for
each job. With the pump, you can vary the batch size as required
(remembering that very small batches are more likely to be less
accurately proportioned and mixed, whatever the measuring method). I
may find that I don't need a wide variety of batch sizes. But there
is also speed. A few strokes on the pump when you run short at the
end of a layup take a lot less time than any weighing method.

With weighing methods, you must be careful not to cross-contaminate
the containers (pouring lips, lids, syringe caps etc) you are
dispensing from. And if you're in the middle of a layup, that may
mean changing gloves before starting to weigh up.

My earlier comments about Jon Tye's balance did not consider
multi-batch operations. I am not intending to enlist Wilma to dole
out batches of epoxy for me, I shall be working mostly solo. I think
I'd find a pump useful in those circumstances.

Even though I'm not female, I reserve the right to change my mind!

regards

Rowland

           ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...