Re: SmartPlug

Subject: Re: SmartPlug
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:06:05
>a small precombustion chamber containing a catalyst that ignites
>the engine=B4s fuel/air mixture.

>with our expensive avgas.
>Any comments ?
   Be SKEPTICAL . . . seems this idea was floated as SBIR grant
   with NASA for last year. First phase grants are generally for
   one year with a potential for follow-on work several years
   later. Phase I is generally $100,000 while phase II grants
   of $600,000 are possible.  The thing to watch for is the
   awarding of a Phase II grant.

   Did a quick search of the 'net and found the following
   URL's that refer to to the Aqualytic ignition product.

http://sbir.gsfc.nasa.gov/SBIR-abstracts/98/sbir_html/980715.html

http://www.cda.net/stories/1998/Oct/29/S474456.asp

http://www.coe.isu.edu/engrg/ethanol.html

   I recall dozens of stories about 60+ mpg carburetors, ignition
   systems that boost power/mileage by umpteen percent, fuel processing
   systems offering amazing "improvements" in performance, etc.
   One guy even made national news about 40 years ago selling
   a tablet that would convert a tank of water into a fuel
   suitable for running your car.

   Don't get me wrong. I wish this guy all the success that the
   laws of physics are willing to let him have. However, just because
   an agency of the US Government chooses to spend $100,000 on
   any sort of program does not lend credance to its value.
   I can think of $60M that is largely going down the tubes right
   now on the AGATE program . . . but that's another story.

   Keep your eyes and ears open, stroke the web with your favorite
   search engines from time to time and see what happens. In
   the mean time, I would be very cautious about offers to buy
   any stock in the company . . .

       Bob . . .