Re: Navaid and DG tracking . . .

Subject: Re: Navaid and DG tracking . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:02:42

>I don't have a bug on my DG, and was hoping that the Navaid could
>simply track on a heading.  Don't see why not.

  How would it sense what heading you were on? It needs
  an electrical signal from a device designed to drive
  the pointer in a CDI instrument (deviation from
  a radial or ground track) or from a device like
  heading bug on gyro (deviation from heading).
  The Navaid has only a rate sensor (like a
  turn coordinator) that deduces heading deviation
  by multiplying degrees-per-second turn by seconds
  and then working to keep that value "zeroed".

  Rate devices and the electronics that integrate their
  signals drift, hence variable degrees of ability
  to hold a true heading with respect to the earth.

  Even if you had a heading bug on the gyro, it too
  will drift, abeit more slowly than a rate-based
  device, unless it is magnetically slaved to the
  earth.

       Bob . . .