Re: Question

Subject: Re: Question
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:43:34
>Bob, I recently bought a copy of the AeroElectric Connection and think
>it's a great resource...I have one question and I'm sure it's in the
>book somewhere (I just can't find it), but what is the difference
>between an Essential Bus and the other power distribution buses?
>
>Thanks for the primer!

  You're welcome. I'm pleased that you find the work useful!

  Not much . . . bus structures can be divided up for
  a variety of reasons. The items powered from any particular
  bus will have something in common. For example, a fuseblock
  or row of breakers might be feed from the always hot side
  of a battery contactor to supply needs of dome lights, clocks,
  engine hour-meters, electronic ignition, . . . any item that
  you want to have powered EVEN IF the rest of the electrical
  system is shut down.

  In the case of an ESSENTIAL bus, I encourage builders to
  consider the electrical items most useful in getting to
  intended destination.  These must certainly include minimal
  lighting, primary nav radio, turn coordinator, a voltmeter
  and perhaps engine boost pump. The goal is to define a very
  low energy budget for utilizing a finite amount of energy
  on board in terms of battery capacity.

  I discourage calling it an EMERGENCY bus . . . if airplanes
  are properly designed and operated, electrical emergencies
  don't happen. This is why we have an ESSENTIAL bus - to
  keep an electrical event from becoming an EMERGENCY. Some
  builders still call it their "avionics" bus and include
  the now outdated "avionics master" switch in the normal
  feed path. Note however that the essential bus in my drawings
  have two, independent power pathways to get electrons to the
  most needed devices.

  Hope this helps . . .

       Bob . . .

                       ////