Re: Bulky, unreadable files

Subject: Re: Bulky, unreadable files
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:59:49
>Hi netters.
>
>I hate to be a whiner, but I got two files in the Vol 01, Number 509
>Glastarnet that flat filled up my bit bucket.  I had to stop and empty it
>before the computer would work again.  I could name names, but I won't.  One
>was a WINMAIL.DAT file, and the other was MIME.  Please, please look at what
>you are putting out to avoid this problem.  I know, I know.  I had trouble
>passing "Works and plays well with others" too.
>
>Bobbi & Ric Lasher
>#5648  BN954BR
>Cocoa, Fl.

  I subscribe to about a dozen list-servers so it takes quite
  a bit of time to download ordinary message traffic. If a couple
  of folks attach a few hundred K-bytes of "information" it
  really slows things down and increases the risk of problems
  like Rich describes.

  There is an EASY way to avoid this for most folks. If you have
  a real internet access account with server hardrive space,
  you can upload large files to  your server and then give people
  pointers on how to find them. For example, click on this:

  http://www.aeroelectric.com/exh.jpg

  You need an FTP program and little instruction which your ISP
  provider should be able to provide. You'll gain a new skill,
  a new tool for effective communications and avoid forcing
  our friends to download data which may be of no interest.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Jurassic Park of aviation.   >