RE: Bob Archer antenna

Subject: RE: Bob Archer antenna
From: David Glauser <david.glauser@xpsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:53:22
I fitted one of Bob Archer's VOR antennas to my XS wing. It really
wasn't hard. The antenna is shaped like this (use a fixed font to view):

                /|\
              /  o  \
            /    |    \
          /\     |     /\
        /    \   |   /    \
      /        \ | x        \
    /            |            \
  /              |              \
/                |                \

The cable attaches where the 'x' is and passes through a clamp at the 'o'.
The closed end of the antenna (the end with the 'o') is against the wing
spar in the space outboard of the last rib. The angled antenna protrusion
fits through the rib via a slot cut just above the bottom skin. The cable
bends to the right after the clamp and runs along the spar.

  /       wing leading edge

  | spar         rib
  +---------------|-------------------------------------------

Bob Archer recommends a minimum of clamping on the antenna, so I
used small blobs of flox distributed around the edges of the antenna
to bond it down. Nothing to it.

David