Re: plastic wrap

Subject: Re: plastic wrap
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:18:44
> If anyone is interested, if you are looking for a source for plastic
> wrap, AKA Saran Wrap, for assisting with layups, give your local Sysco
> Food Service a call.
> I am going to pick up a 2000 foot roll of 24" wide wrap for US$22.50
> tomorrow.

Before you buy a large quantity of plastic wrap, you may want to experiment
with different types.  My partner and I use a slightly thicker and stiffer
material (a little more like cellophane) for most layups, which doesn't
stick to itself, and lies perfectly flat.  We get it in 24 inch wide rolls
---From the local craft store.  Of course, it won't conform to compound curves
when transferring the glass onto the structure, but the thinner material
doesn't do too well there either.

Another suggestion: try a rubber roller (like a photographic print roller)
to even out the layups between plastic sheets.  Gets out the bubbles and
leaves just the right amount of epoxy in the layup much more easily than a
squeegee, in my opinion.

Dave DeFord
#A135