Re: Fuel tank cautions

Subject: Re: Fuel tank cautions
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:42:00
I don't know all that's happening in the tanks but I do know two things:

1.    All the plastic swarf from boring the holes, and it's a lot, stays in
there unless you have a big oval hole in the top and a vacuum cleaner
access.  The charged particles of PE stick to the sides of the tank.

2.    At least on the early tanks, of which I have an example, the
volatiles, mainly anti knock additives I believe, come off the fuel if it's
left standing for more than a few weeks.  The resulting fuel makes at least
a car engine detonate very badly.  Probably does the same for the 912 but
it's harder to hear.  I know this because after soaking the tank in fuel for
expansion, I tried to use the fuel in my car - big mistake.

Dave Simpson