Re: Turn coodinatro shielding

Subject: Re: Turn coodinatro shielding
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:08:37
>Well I have this really neat instrument panel all designed for my RV-4, but
>may have a problem.  I have the compass planned to be mounted on the panel
>near the turn coordinator.  But on the bench, the  TC swings the compass
>greatly.  I know the easy solution is to move the compass, but I was hoping
>the retain this design.  Is it possible to shield the TC in some manner?

  The IDEAL material to reduce stray magnetic fields around
  both potential antagonists -and- victims is a stuff called
  Mu-Metal . . . not easy to get and not easy to work with.
  You can try an experiement to see if it's worth the trouble.
  Get some ordinary galvanized sheetmetal that comes in rolls
  about 8" wide and used for valley sheeting between roofs.
  Cut a strip wide enough to cover the depth of the turn
  coordinator and long enough to wrap around the outside
  case about three layers deep. The metal is soft, thin and
  pretty easy to work with. Hold the sheet-metal cocoon in
  place with several fat rubber bands or some wraps of
  tape.

  Now, see what effect the T/C has on the compass. If you're
  lucky, the sheet metal you've put on does the trick and
  you can slip this shield off to be replaced later after
  the T/C is installed. Use Tie-Wraps or lacing string to
  hold it in the final installation. If you're not so lucky,
  you'll find that the effects are considerably reduced but
  still to strong to swing out when the compass is installed.
  In this case you may have to go for the high-dollar, finger
  slicing stuff.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)