Re: Essential bus feed

Subject: Re: Essential bus feed
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:36:44
>I am using a Radio Shack Cat# 276-1185 rectifying diode array for
>automatic isolation of my essential buss. My problem is that while smoke
>testing the electrical system I noticed a 0.7 volt drop in voltage
>across the diode array. This was a no load, engine off check and my
>input voltage from the battery is 12.43 volts with 11.73 reaching the
>essential buss. Is this OK? My gut says no.

  What you have observed is built into the physics of how
  diodes work. They are not perfect "switches" . . . while
  their reverse conduction is very tiny (this is what makes
  them good isolators to prevent backflow of energy) their
  forward conduction has a small but relatively fixed voltage
  drop.

  The very common silicon power rectifier may be expected to
  drop between .6 and .8 volts under normal operating
  conditions. It is possible to buy germanium diodes and
  special silicon diodes (schotky) with lower drops but for
  the application we're discussing, it's not necesary. Here's
  why.

  Consider that when the alternator is running, bus voltage
  is 13.8 volts or greater. If you feed your essential bus
  from the main bus through the recommended isolation diode,
  this puts your essential bus at 13.1 volts or greater. Is
  this a "bad" thing?

  Consider further that when the alternator is not running,
  battery only operations will be at 12.5 volts or LOWER.
  Under these conditions, everything on the essential bus
  is supplied with a voltage LOWER than when the alternator
  is running.

  If the goodies on the essential bus are EXPECTED to operate
  battery-only until the battery's useful energy is depleted
  (down to 10.5 volts) then I suggest that the 0.7 volt drop
  you've observed is nothing to be concerned about. The design
  task you need to complete is make sure that all goodies on
  the essential bus will indeed function in the battery-only
  mode. All products for TC aircraft must be functional at
  some performance level down to 9 volts! Some suppliers of
  hardware to the amateur built industry have not done their
  homework. I get several messages a year from folk who find
  that some shiny new gizmo on their panel won't work unless
  the bus is at normal, alternator working levels.

  This survey of goodies in your airplane has nothing to do
  with whether or not a diode is installed . . . even if
  you replaced the diode with a switch (bad idea), the
  electro-goody's shortcomings will still be there.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >