Re: Designing for Failure

Subject: Re: Designing for Failure
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:30:09

    See http://www.aeroelectric.com/errata/fig_z7.pdf

>A second question:
>
>What would be the consequences of eliminating the master relay, and instead
>having a master switch that switched power to all systems except the wire
>to the starter relay.  The only consequence I could see is that there would
>always be battery power to the starter relay, which could result in a
>problem if that component failed in the on position.  (a highly unlikely
>occurence).

  Starter contactors are the single most likely device to
  stick shut in a single engine airplane. I'm personally
  aware of two aircraft (a Vari-Ez and a Glasair wired
  as you suggest) that suffered some damage to their
  electrical system. One had a battery meltdown, the
  other smoked a starter. If you elect to wire this way,
  put the starter contactor as close as practical to the
  battery (keep length of always-hot, fat-wires to a minimum).

  I know that you have to throw away about an amp of
  alternator capacity just to keep the battery contactor
  closed but it is the more failure tolerant architecture.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >