Re: Engine Instruments

Subject: Re: Engine Instruments
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:34:17
>I like both systems.  I've heard of several guys who have had these systems
>and had problems with them getting whacked(technical term) when they start
>the engine from surges and EMI.  I would recommend a avionics saver unit
>from Control Vision.(<http://www.controlvision.com>.  This unit will protect
>delicate engine and avionic instruments from surges and automatically turn
>off engine instruments and avionics when the starter is engaged.
>I'm sure there are other ways to do this also but the unit is so cheap that
>I don't think it's worth the time to do anything else.

  Folks, IF you are considering ANY device for your project that
  has the slightest hint of history for being "whacked" or anything
  else when installed in an otherwise normally operating airplane,
  you'd better check with the manufacturer of the device before
  you buy it. ASK, "Will your product meet or exceed all the
  requirements set forth in RTCA DO-160, Power Input conditions
  described in sections 16.0 through 20.0"

  Building products that meet these requirements is a piece of
  cake . . . I've been doing it for over 25 years. There's
  no excuse for anyone to bring a product into the marketplace
  that does NOT meet these requirements.

  "Delicate engine and avionic instruments" is a term that should
  be erased from the lexicon of airplanespeak . . . yes, I know
  there are plenty of folks out there who depend on fears and
  ignorance of the common folk in order to enhance the sales
  of their products. It works VERY well in the world of type
  certificated aircraft . . . even some degreed engineers
  at airplane plants still preach the gospel of "better safe
  than sorry."

  But please, Please, PLEASE don't propogate stories
  that invariably begin with,  "I've heard of several guys
  who have had . . . " If anyone has a real name of a victim,
  and a product that failed to pass muster in his airplane
  I'd sincerely like to know name, rank and serial number
  of all parties and parts involved. I'll contact them and
  offer gratis services to identify the failure mode and
  offer ways to prevent it from happening again either by
  appropriate (and generally rudimentary changes to the
  electrical system) -OR- help the manufacturer with the
  relatively trivial task of hardening their product.

  Over the past 10 years, several dozen leads on "whacked",
  "fried" and "smoked" componts have failed to yield any real
  cases of design deficiencies . . in fact, of all the
  situations I've tried to identify, only two turned out
  to be real failures and both were induced by wiring
  errors during installation.

  You guys are building the best airplanes ever. Our
  collective skills can only get better if we extract
  ourselves out of the muck and mire of federally
  decreed ignorance that plagues our brothers who fly
  the heavy iron.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)