Modifications to Europas

Subject: Modifications to Europas
From: nigelcharles <NigelCharles@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:32:30
Message text written by "Steven Pitt"
>Nigel Charles
It was good to meet you again over the weekend - I didn't get a chance to
look at your modifications book and I would appreciate you letting me know
what mods have already been sanctioned by the PFA.
Also, you asked if I would write up a mod for the fuel sender and I will
try to do so but is there a standard format that I should use for the
submission to the PFA? Can you let me have a copy of one that has been
passed for an example?
Regards
Steve Pitt    Builder 403<

The PFA has cleared an alternative way for non-factory mods to be used care
of the Europa Club. This is hot off the press as the first batch of 5 mods
only got approval last Friday. For those of you who were unable to make the
Europa Club AGM I would like to make the modification situation clear.
Although the system described below is mainly aimed at UK builders
(non-factory mods need assessment and approval in the UK by the PFA and
your inspector) it might also be of help to non-UK builders.

The popularity of kit aircraft in the UK and the Europa in particular has
meant that any extra mods you may wish to incorporate require a lot of work
for the PFA as well as being scrutinised by your inspector. In some cases
builders are trying to design very similar mods independantly. Although
this might optimise the individual's requirements it often means that
he/she is unnecessarily trying to 'redesign the wheel'. What I have done
(with advice from Francis Donaldson) is to choose some mods which might be
popular and write them in a 'Builder Instruction ' format. The idea is that
any UK builder will be able to obtain a copy of a particular mod, carry out
the work as per the instructions, complete the Form PFA/MOD-1 quoting the
MOD reference on the instructions, get his/her PFA Inspector to check
workmanship and compliance signing the form and then sending it off to the
PFA for final approval. This may sound a little involved but I can assure
you it is much easier than doing a one off mod. Non-UK builders are welcome
to make use of this facility but will have to satisfy their own authorities
if applicable.

The mods chosen so far are just a starting point. If any of you are willing
to help by being the guinea-pigs for a particular mods or would like to
contribute their experience please contact me. Francis is obviously the
final arbiter as to whether a mod should progress to this status but as I
have been co-opted on to the club committee as mods representative it seems
logical if the correspodance is collated by me. Steve Pitt has kindly
offered to be the'guinea-pig' for the float/reed switch fuel gauge. I
believe this is manufactured by Lyndhurst. I know for a fact that Francis
is keen to see this particular mod included in our Europa Club List of mods
so if any of you have already started installing this device your inputs on
your experiences would be most welcome.

The current list is as follows:

Fully Approved Europa Club Mods -

Single Fuselage- mounted Strobe Installation     (MOD Number 10401)
Modified Instrument Panel with Removable Sub Panel       (MOD Number 10402)
Seat Locker Door Installation                    (MOD Number 10403)
Overvoltage Crowbar Unit Installation            (MOD Number 10404)
Quick Release Engine Cowl Fasteners              (MOD Number 10405)

Europa Club Mods in Progress-

Capacitance Fuel Sender Gauging
Navaid Autopilot System
Parking Brake - Mechanical and Hydraulic

I am looking for someone who has completed a mechanical parking brake to
provide me with details including diagrams. The diagrams need to be either
hardcopy or bitmap otherwise I will not be able to read them.

The mods should be available in the next few weeks in both electronic and
paper versions. The paper versions will be available through the membership
secretary (Rowland Carson) and I am hoping to get the electronic versions
going as soon as we have managed to get them formatted. As Rowlands
computer talks a different language to mine the paper versions will not be
available before the electronic ones.

Nigel Charles