Re: What fuse type for the essential bus feed line?

Subject: Re: What fuse type for the essential bus feed line?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:41:46

>> Bob's drawings show a 15 amp fuse where the 14AWG wire comes off the
upstream
>> (battery side) master contactor. This fuse protects against a short between
>> the always hot wire and the essential switch. What type fuse have people
been
>> using for this application?

  The essential bus alternate feed path needs to be sized to
  the loads on the bus. IF you're able to achieve the ultimate
  in system reliability and get e-bus running loads below
  8 amps, then the recommended alternate feed architecture
  is shown in the latest encarnation of Appendix Z now downloadable
  from our website at http://www.aeroelectric.com/errata/z8_0299.pdf

  A 20AWG fuse link crimped into a 14AWG wire (for lower voltage
  drop when battery is rear mounted ) or 16AWG wire (if battery
  is up front) completes the interconnection along the alternate
  feed path.

  If you succumb to baser instincts and get an e-bus that's
  loaded heavier than 8 amps continuous, then go to a 10 or
  15 amp fuse to protect a 14AWG alternate feedpath wire.

  I have some builders running a 3-amp continuous/7-amp
  intermittant e-bus using 22AWG fuselink and 18AWG
  feedline.

  If you DO need an inline fuseholder, the Bussmann HFB
  device is recommended . . . but I'd work really hard
  to avoid the need . . . anything over 5 amps for an
  e-bus load really cramps your ability to get where
  you want to go with a finite energy resource that
  may be of unknown quantity . . .

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)