Re: Misc. Assistance

Subject: Re: Misc. Assistance
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 23:48:15
>(ii) The discussions on fuel measurment have raised many interesting
>points, I would like to add a couple of ideas The currently available
capacitance fuel gauges require  a hole to be cut
>in the top of tank, as a retro fit this is difficult and not everyone wants
>to damage the integrity of the tank. Could the sender tube (I understand
>they can be bent)  not be installed through the same point as the top vent
>tube in the tank. By using a modified ali insert instead of F09B to hold
>the sender and the top vent tube access, the sender could go down into the
>starboard side of the tank using the port side as the reserve.

Been there, dun that. Too much hassle and resultant unreliability.

Jerry Davies, (Lyndhurst Touchdown Services) has developed a better system,
IMHO; the trouple with capacitance measurement is it never reads the same
twice, the dielectric constant of the fuel varies too much. Jerry uses a
magnetic float and a series of reed switches, so the reading is stepped, (8
or 10 steps) and therefore consistent. The switches are not submerged in
fuel, so safe.

Graham