Re: Europa Crash -Reply

Subject: Re: Europa Crash -Reply
From: Marl Halbrook <pilot89m@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:38:19
>Marl
>Was this the Subaru powered Europa?
>Mark

Yes, one of them, there are others flying also.

     I want to head off this thread before it starts---the engine has NEVER
missed a beat and was not at fault here--it has been very reliable and
produced good power.  Our performance was on par with the 912 powered
planes, or even a little better.  It was producing full power when he
stalled--Dan just got into a situation where he asked more of the plane
than it could provide.

     The runway in question is 2100 ft with trees at one end and the
powerlines that Dan was trying to cross at the other.  It is closely mown
(mowed??)  grass and is virtually table topflat (no hills, big bumps,
etc...).  The OAT was about 85-88 degrees F and humidity around 90%
(Normal for South Ga and Al).  I don't know about their weight and balance,
but I do know that Dan told his wife that he had done a W&B for the 2 of
them to be sure that he was within the range we had tested.  He had about
100 or 110 hrs in the Europa, so he wasn't a real greenhorn--he had flown
many times in these conditions--something just wasn't right this time--we
may never know what.  (I'll send more info as I get it--right now we are
more concerned with Dan and Chuck and their injuries)

      Mark, please understand that I'm not irritated by your question--I
just know where it can go (((Them danged Soob engines ain't worth a crap,
etc....))) and I won't stand for that cuz the engine has always done what
was expected of it--nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks,

Marl
Sonex #0117