Re: Wire Splice Trick

Subject: Re: Wire Splice Trick
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:23:03
>The latest issue of Sport Aviation has an article
>on wire termination. He recommends crimp and solder.
>The crimp for mechanical, and solder for the electrical.

  For the life of me, I cannot understand why
  folks recommend this practice. The companies
  that make solderless devices and take the time
  to get them Mil-Spec'ed and/or certified would
  be equally confused. There have been hundreds of
  thousands of airplanes and bizillions of cars
  built with nary a solder joint in the electrical
  system and they hang together just fine.

  IF one is using poor tools then solder might be
  useful, but if you're going to solder, why not
  forget the crimp tools and solder everything?
  Save some $.

>I thought solder caused a point of possible fatigue,
>and was not the best way to go.

  Both crimp AND solder have ways of putting
  stress risers into a group of wire strands
  making them more likely to fail right at the
  connection than anywhere else along the wire.
  This is why crimp terminals have TWO places
  to grab the wire . . . the ELECTRICAL joint
  where the stranding is mashed into a homogenous
  mass and the INSULATION GRIP where the wire
  is supported to keep vibration stresses off
  the electrical joint.

  Soldered joints need heat shrink over the
  joint for impoved support of the final
  assembly.

  In terms of overall reliablity, there is NO
  difference between a properly soldered joint
  and a crimped joint. The crimped joints are
  prefered in a factory environment 'cause crimp
  tools don't burn holes in the carpet and they
  require less craftsmanship to operate than
  a soldering iron. The folk who tout one over
  the other or recommend BOTH as some sort of
  reliability enhancement simply don't understand
  the physics of the matter.

>Good quality terminals are a must. I use only "AMP"
>brand on the airframe. There are probably others out
>there that are good quality also, but I listened to
>my radio shop, and I haven't had any problems yet
>with my wiring, just the certified  equipment connected.

  Another myth propogated by folk who simply
  don't take the time to understand the products
  they use or recommend. AMP makes a full range
  of terminals from open barrel, uninsulated
  el-cheapos up through Plasti-Grip (automotive/
  hardware store stuff) and topped off with the
  pre-insulated diamond grip (PIDG) terminals
  which have been standards of comparison for
  decades. Dozens of other terminal manufacturers
  make similarly scaled products in order to satisfy
  the needs of a very large market. You can buy
  terminals UN-SUITED for use in airplanes from
  AMP or anybody else.

  Bad or poorly supported advice is no substitute
  for an understanding of how things work and why
  we choose to use them.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)