Shielded Wire?

Subject: Shielded Wire?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:02:37
>Bob,
>So what about the capacitor. Will it help reduce any noise in the
>intercom, radio, etc, system if we install one. A friend of mine
>recommended that I install a capacitor in the system along with the
>shielded wire from the alternator.

  A builder called me about ten years ago and spent several
  minutes outlining all the shielding, filtering, prepositioning
  of harware in the airplane all in the name of eliminating
  electrical noise. All in all, several dozens of hours, pounds
  of hardwrae and no small sum of cash.

  I was a bit astonished and asked what kind of noise proplem
  he was having. "Oh," sez he, "I don't have a noise problem,
  the airplane is not yet ready to fly." My advice is generally
  this: Put shielded wire on magneto p-leads, spark plug wires
  -and- on any appliances where the manufacturer recommneds it
  and describes how it is to be hooked up.

  Then, if a noise problem presents itself, you need to identify
  the source, propogation mode and victim and plan the best way
  to handle that particular problem by filtering at source,
  breaking the propogation mode or filtering at the victim.
  Given that there are dozens of possible combinations, you can
  easily spend the time and dollars represented by our hero's
  precautions and still not assure yourself of a noise free
  airplane.

  Begin with good basic installation practice and whip each
  problem as it presents itself . . . it's generally not
  hard to do . . .

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)