Navaid servo on rudder !?

Subject: Navaid servo on rudder !?
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:09:44
Had a great time at Sun N Fun. Picked up lots of info. Didn't spend too
much money but picked up lots of brochures on things that will leave me
a lot poorer as the job progresses. Worked with lots of great folks on
the stand and met a lot of other builders, Bob, Michelle, Heather,
Obergruppenfuhrer Ed, Keith, Sandy, Jim, Russell, Bill, Jimmy,
Augustine, Steve, Don, a lot of Brits, - Graham, Jon, Terry, plus many
others whose names my brain has already let slip.

I plan to fit a Navaid autopilot to my Europa and understand that the
conventional wisdom is to mount the servo in the cockpit to the side of
the base of the control column with connection to CS02 for aileron
control. I noted that people who have flown the Europa commented that
the rudder control in the cruise without ailerons is perfectly adequate
for normal directional control. (I think it may have been a slight
exaggeration when I heard that one can do a 90 degree bank on the
rudder.) This begs a question - would there be any downside to mounting
the Navaid servo to drive the rudder instead of the ailerons ? I have
not figured exactly where to mount this yet but if I use the
intermediate rudder bellcrank setup, I think this may provide a less
crowded location. Does anyone have any comments ?

Cheers, John, A099