Child Seats In Europas

Subject: Child Seats In Europas
From: Carl <Carl@photos.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:10:18
Michael Cheshire wrote:

> I am interested in building a Europa but , as I have a 1 year old
> child, I am reluctant to begin without some confirmation that it is
> possible and safe to build a child seat in the baggage area.

There is absolutely no reason why it should not be technically possible
to fit a child seat in the Europa baggage area (presumably we are
talking XS version as opposed to MK 1), however you will almost
certainly have to do a very careful assesment of the likely maximum all
up weight your aircraft.

Assuming you are an average builder, it is going to take you at least
two years to complete your aircraft by which time "junior" will be three
and weigh that much more (assuming that only one offspring is planned
!). The Europa is many things but unfortunately not a family tourer.

Of course if you and your co-pilot are relatively light people, then
carrying a third passenger might be possible, though I am not sure what
the legal (or insurance) position might be. Fot the answer to this
question you would need to speak to Francis Donaldson (the great high
priest at ther PFA). If Francis says it is OK then you might be in with
a chance.

Good luck,

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS