Re: Lyndhurst Touchdown Services fuel level indicator - PFA requirements

Subject: Re: Lyndhurst Touchdown Services fuel level indicator - PFA requirements
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 16:09:24
Gerry,

I installed an elliptical tank inspection hole between the headrests.  Andy
Draper at Europa told me that the rule of thumb for reinforcement around a
hole rim is to apply 3 times the VOLUME of the composite removed by making
the hole (ignoring the foam core).  In the case of the cockpit module, the
glass is 300 gms/sq.m. and there are 2 laminates on top, one underneath.

Your 0.031725m radius hole thus had pi x 0.031725 squared x 3 x 300 = 2.846
gms in it.  Reinforce the rim with 3 times this = 8.5 grammes of glass. Bid
supplied with the kit is 280gms per sq. m.  The weights of the fabric which
went into the hole and that used for the reinforcement,  are near enough to
give you very similar volumes when wetted out.

 I cleared out the foam 5 mm back around the hole edge and filled it with
flox before glassing.

PFA cleared my mod on this basis,

Hope this helps

Dave Simpson