RE: Cleaning cured epoxy

Subject: RE: Cleaning cured epoxy
From: James Thursby <JThursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:37:33
Not entirely true. A proper degreaser put on with one rag and wiped off with
a clean one BEFORE it dries is the proper way to remove surface
contaminants. Sometimes sanding alone merely grinds the contaminants into
the substrate, only to surface again later. Here's my procedure. First, wash
the parts with warm soapy water. Water will remove contaminants that solvent
based cleaners will not. Second, give the parts a good cleaning with a
solvent based cleaner. Third, give the bonding areas a good sanding with 30
to 100 grit paper. Fourth, give the areas to be bonded a last solvent
cleaning 1/2 hour before epoxying. (that's to let the solvents flash off)
And you will not have any bonding problems. It might seem like overkill but
it really isn't.

        Jim Thursby