Bow in Tailplane

Subject: Bow in Tailplane
From: ChuckPops@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:12:15
Hi guys-

I have finally gotten around to filling the flying surfaces after having put
it off about as long as I could.  I have filled and finished the rudder and
vertical fin and control surfaces with no problem.  However, it became obvious
while sanding with my 36" long spline that one of my tailplanes has a bow,
that is, it is concave on one side and convex on the other!  How this occurred
is a mystery.  It must have happened when bonding the two sections together.
Laying a straightedge to conform to the outboard section, the root is some 2
mm out of line. Disaster!

I am quite sure that the flying qualities of the craft will not be affected by
this slight bow, but it bothers my aesthetic and craftsman side!  What to do
about this?  As I see it there are three avenues available-- forget it and
hope that noone notices;  fill the low areas with filler to make a straight
surface both sides; or perhaps heat it to a point where the epoxy softens a
bit and clamp it so that when it cools it will be straight.  Has this happened
to anyone else, and can you experienced builders suggest a reasonable course
of action?

Regards,

Pops
A036