Re: Wire Splice Trick

Subject: Re: Wire Splice Trick
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:16:40
>Anyone that has ever taken a "butt splice" apart that
>has been exposed to the weather will remember the GREEN WIRE. RIGHT?
>
>Any way for the trick, dig out your old Hot Glue Gun, a
>Glass of Water, and Squirt a 1/6" +or- string into the water.
>
>The next time you want to make a water tight "butt splice",
>do the but splice as normal but put a 2" long piece of Heat
>Shrink Tube on the wire first. Then cut a 2" long piece of the
>glue  (Dry not with water) slide the tube over the but
>splice , insert the glue string, and heat.
>
>Not only do you have a water tight "butt splice" but
>you also have a splice that is less likely to pull apart.
>

>Heat Shrink can be had at any Radio Shack.

  This is a pretty fair appoximation of a series of double-wall
  heat-shrinks offered by most manufacturers of such products.
  We stock 1/2" double walled product with a melting sealant for
  the inner wall. Complete encapsulation of the joint from a
  "string" of hot glue might be a bit shakey if the heatshrink
  is a thinner variety that puts to little force on the shrink
  or tends to split if you have to heat it too strongly or for
  too long. This technique will work best with the heavier/
  stiffer heatshrinks . . .

  I'll look into getting a variety of double-wall heatshrinks
  and offer them from our website catalog.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >