battery

Subject: battery
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:56:17

>Please, can anyone give me some tips for the construction of  a battery
>mount.

  If you plan to use a recombinant gas battery (and I
  strongly recommend it), then the need for a classic
  battery box goes away. Your major concers are for
  structural integrity - things need to hold the battery
  well enough that it does not become a hazard in a
  crash. Conventional wisdom dictates 10-20 g loading
  if the battery is hehind you in the airplane, 5-10
  g loading if on or against the firewall.

  RG batteries can mount in any position so you can
  lay them down or stand them on end . . . whatever
  orientation best fits the space and structure. A simple
  tray to fit the footprint and webbing straps to hold
  it down will often suffice.  The holddowns need to
  withstand a pull of 5 to 20 times the weight of the
  battery depending on where it is.

  Given the approx 15 lb weight of a battery suited to
  a Europa, your straps need to hold only 300 lbs max,
  usually no big deal. Attach points for webbing to
  structure are generally the most difficult.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <   If you continue to do       >