Re: Epoxy/Resin Ratios

Subject: Re: Epoxy/Resin Ratios
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:41:56

>    Of particular note the AEROPOXY ratios are 27:100 by weight or 1:3
>by volume.  I spent the extra and bought both a scale and a pump.  The pump
>will save you a lot of time in the long run and provide an accurate mix every
>time. I am not sorry I bought the pump.

Before you all rush out to buy a pump, remember that while it will deliver
a constant ratio by volume, a change in working temperature will result in
a different ratio by weight. It's the weight ratio that's important (so as
to get the correct numbers of molecules interacting with each other), not
the volume.

For best accuracy (& remember, accurate measuring contributes to maximum
airframe strength at minimum weight!) your pump should be calibrated and
used at the same temperature. For this reason, many people like to store &
use the pump (and the next batch of raw resin & hardener) in a
temperature-controlled box.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...