Door Assembly ?

Subject: Door Assembly ?
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:30:46
I am about to complete assembly of the door latch mechanism and am unsure of
its final assembly sequence.  It seems that the outside handle must be
installed prior to bonding the inside cover over the mechanism since one needs
access to the bolt head to tighten the connection.  Obviously, the cover needs
to be in place prior to painting the door.

Somehow, I had always assumed that I would be able to paint the outside handle
separately before installing it. Preventing damage to a painted handle with it
in place during the remaining assembly and painting seems awkward.

How have others handled this?  Is the handle painted while mounted on the
door?  If so, how difficult is it to paint the door under the handle and how
is paint kept from binding the shaft?

There seem to be a number of little puzzles built into the sequence of
assembly. Or perhaps I've got a low mechanical aptitude and just don't see the
obvious.

Regards,    John    A044