Re: Rotax 912ULS

Subject: Re: Rotax 912ULS
From: J. FELL <jw17@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:38:37

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Bull <roger@europa-aircraft.co.uk>
<nigel_graham@MENTORG.COM>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 03:15

We have just taken delivery of a "beta" version of the Rotax 912ULS, and are
fitting it to ne of our demonstration aircraft.  It pains me to have to
disillusion you, but the smell will continue, since the fuel pump and
carburettors still do not recognise each other.  However as a small
consolation there is now a cover over the generator/ignition pickups.

Regards,

Roger Bull

Roger
Having just ordered a 912ULS for 1999 for the Europa XS trigear I wondered
if you could enlighten me as to "the smell will continue" in your comment
above. Having flown with Ivan Shaw in the original Europa G-YURO and the
rotary engined G-KITS I did notice a fuel/oil smell and put this down in the
first case to a much modified prototype and in the second case to a total
loss oil system.
My decision to build the trigear version was in part down to the fact that
the wheel well would be free from all the openings present in the monowheel
version.
I would like to do all possible to avoid any fuel/oil smell in the aircraft
so your ideas on the cause and solutions would be gratefully received.
Regards
Jim Fell Builder 372