XS Ailerons-Mass Balance Arms

Subject: XS Ailerons-Mass Balance Arms
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:22:09
A further word of caution to those building XS ailerons regarding the
Mass=0ABalance
Arms.

 The instructions shown on pages 7-10and 7-11, together with the
Template=0Ashown
on page 7-17, need to be viewed with caution.

The Mass Balance Box shown on page 9-20 is bonded astride the
aileron=0Acloseouts
at the position of the balance arms to stiffen the closeout where it=0Ais cut
away to allow the balance arms to fit into the back of the wing. When=0Athe
hinges are fitted the aileron will not swing down due to the top of the=0Aarm
(close to the leading edge) fouling on the corner of the box. In fact, it=0Ais
unlikely that the arm will even fit into the box using the template shown=0Aas
a guide for the arm's profile.

=09My experience is that the top of the profile should not be more than
40mm.=0Ahigh
---From the bottom surface of the aileron. I also found that the shape of=0Athe
template was incorrect to fit the underside of the aileron's leading
edge.=0AMaybe
the profile was not updated from the pre-XS version; I would not know.

=09The positive advice that I would offer to Europals building the XS is, -
do=0Anot
fit the mass balance arms to the ailerons until you are fitting the=0Aailerons
to the wings. Then work out the shape of the arm  very carefully=0Abearing
in mind that you will need a 22 degree downward travel without fouling=0Athe
top of that box.

Happy building=85=85=85Bryan Allsop   =85=85.360.UK