Re: Tri-Gear Europa

Subject: Re: Tri-Gear Europa
From: nigel_graham@MENTORG.COM <nigelgraham@mentorg.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:11:59
> I think I heard or read some months ago that someone in Britain is building
  > his own version of a main landing gear ( legs ) using composite material
carbon   > fiber or kevlar ) .
> Has anyone more specific information on this, and where to find this builder?

Jef,
 I don't know If there are others in Britain, but I am converting my mono wheel
to conventional twin wheel fixed and faired u/c using twin articulating
graphite legs with shock absorbers mounted under the seat.
 Tail is supported on a streamlined graphite boom, also with provision for a
shock absorber. Both can be adjusted for ride height and deck angle and damping
rate (the technique of "suck-it-and-see" being preferred to computer
simulation!)
 Primary goals are a reduction in the 28 kilo+ mono u/c weight, a de-skilling
of the landing and takeoff phase
 I am aware of at least three others doing similar "taildragger" conversions
(in Switzerland or France I think), but these us the one piece "Bambi"
undercarriage leg.
  Happy building
    Nigel (147)