Fuel guage

Subject: Fuel guage
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:40:13
Just thought I would give a follow up report on the installation of the LTS
fuel gauge, supplied by at Lyndhurst Tuchdown Services.

I have had time now since the installation to evaluate its operation, and
I'm pleased to say I am happy with it. It has proved to be reliable and
give consistent readings.

The installation proved slightly more difficult than anticipated, due to
the shape of my fuel tank top, which was anything but flat. Also I tried to
fit it as far back as possible, and found the thickness of the tank varies
considerably close to the edges. This caused problems with sealing as the
fittings are made from nylon, so clamping forces are low. I made a new
lower clamping plate from metal, which worked fine, but then the top plate
followed the shape of the tank rather than pulling the tank straight, and
that in turn caused problems with the measuring unit screwing in!. That
said, if the fitting position is flat, and not to close to the edge,
fitting should not be a problem.

The only down side to the system is the stepped readings, which personally
I do not find a problem, in fact it can be regarded as useful.  I have made
a scale to fit over the gauge, calibrated to show the contents in litres.
The switches on the unit work on the safe side, so I know I will always
have slightly more in the tank than the gauge shows, so if I act on the
gauge contents there should be a built in safety factor.

All in all I think installing an alternate fuel gauge is well worth while.
Considering this type offers a remote reading capability at a very
reasonable price, it is worth a look at.

Jim Naylor
G-BVLV