Hinge attach tips

Subject: Hinge attach tips
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 07:01:33
Gidday again,
I've just setup my tailplane trim tab hinges and I would like to pass on a
couple of tips to those who haven't yet done it, or for those at the aileron
hinge setup.

1)Place trim tabs ontop of each other so that the leading edge of one has
the trailing edge of the other adjacent. Note that the bottom tabs lower
skin, the one on the bench is parrallel now to the top skin of the top tab.
Now place them both together under your pillar drill (drill press) and
merrily drill holes that will be perpendicular to the hinge flanges. I used
this technique of marrying the tabs when I did the outboard tab tip
closeouts, and layed the  cloth over both tips at once. Worked well.

2)To drill perpendicular holes in closeout flanges of tailplanes or wings
simply get a bit of 300mm long 25-30mmX6-8mm timber and cut 2 pieces roughly
40mm long from the end. Now stack glue them to one end of the remainder, the
long piece. When the glue has dried place a 1/16",3/32",#30,4.0mm,4.8mm in
this stacked/thicker end using the same pillar drill/drill press, and VOILA!
This thicker end will nicely keep all your cordless drilling vertical and
precise.
3)Now the best tip is how to use the thingamejig mentioned in 2). Well if
you shine a torch onto the end of the hinge flange that you are about to
drill into, the fibres transmit the light around such that you can look down
---From above, through the smallest hole being 1/16", and see easily a small
penmark cross placed in advance.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236