Mod 46

Subject: Mod 46
From: JohnJMoran <JohnJMoran@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 17:05:01
Just completed Mod 46 which went pretty well using Graham's techniques to
speed things up.  As usual, it took me longer than everyone else, about 8
hours.  I found  re-tightening the lock nuts on the pushods to be very
awkward, took about an hour just for that plus re-setting the length and the
rotation freedom.  Eventually I laid a small mirror on the bottom of the hull
so I could peer in past my arm through the spar opening and thus get the
wrench onto the elusive lock nuts.

One problem I ran into was that the pitch system friction increased
significantly - to 9 or 10 ounces measured at the top of the stick with the
pushrod to the torque tube disconnected.  This was due to end load on the
CS09B bearings, apparently due to a slight change in length when the CS10C's
were replaced.  It required re-bedding the base of CS09 on flox to reduce the
friction to normal.  Deja vu - the same problem occurred during the original
installation and was cured the same way.

John              A044                        Newtown, CT