Re: Filling, Sanding

Subject: Re: Filling, Sanding
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:19:33

>Has anyone used wet & dry silicon carbide paper, wetted with soapy water,
>for sanding after filling in order to keep the dust down?
>
>Is there any reason for not doing so?

Dennis - I seem to remember that at one of the seminars, a presenter who
seemed to know what he was talking about (maybe Gary McKirdy?) said that
although using wet'n'dry wet was good to keep down the dust, it had bad
side-effects on the surface being worked on. I'll need to do a bit of
searching to check up on this (don't need to know in the immediate future!)
but in the meantime someone else who was at that seminar might remember? I
think it caused some sort of finish problem. It was something to do with
the water getting into the pores of the surface, and was not a problem for
car-type finishing, only in the aeroplane scenario. Or maybe it was OK on
metal, but not on composites - at any rate, what I took on board was that
despite the apparently convenient way to improve comfort & ensure health,
it was a BAD THING for Europa builders to do.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...