Re: Re: off subject

Subject: Re: Re: off subject
From: Steve G. <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:05:58

Dean Arthur wrote:

> Dr. Christoph Both wrote:
> >
> > Engine:
> >

> > Also I would like to hear more about the different engine
> > possibilities.  I like the XL but would prefer a different engine than
> > the 914, or NSI.
>
> Me, too!
>
> BMW is supposed to be light and dependable. But 4,000-5,000$US is still
> a bit much.
>
> Some years ago a sidebar appeared in Kitplane about a company in Arizona
> making assemblies to connect the Honda Gold Wing motorcycle engine to a
> propeller for homebuilts. Water-cooled to be sure but all components are
> already in the engine: alternator, fuel pump, oil pump, transmission and
> total engine weight is something on the order of 250 pounds for 100 hp.
>
> Hmmm, how about reverse gear (solenoid shifting?) on 1500 cc six
> cylinder engines for braking thrust on landing?
>
> Engines are good for minimum of 150,000 road miles at 60 mph with proper
> care; should be good for at least 5,000-10,000 hours before major
> overhaul with same level of care and attention to detail.

Hmm, I consider $5000 U.S. for an airworthy engine to be a bargain.  Seen
the price of a zero time 0-360 lately?  How low is low enough for a safe,
reliable powerplant?  In regards to the GoldWing engine, it is a very
reliable powerplant, in the application it was designed for.  We've seen the
problems converting ground engines to aircraft applications time and time
again.  The constant shock transmitted to the engine's crank by the twisting
and pulling action of the prop is the devil's detail here, as evidenced in
the BMW conversion.  I for one am quite excited by the BMW project, and have
every confidence Europa's decision regarding it will be in our best
interests.  If it takes longer than expected, that's not really a great
surprise in the world of kit planes.

Best wishes to all, see you at Sun 'n Fun!

Steve Genotte