Re: Length of strip.

Subject: Re: Length of strip.
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 22:29:59
On 2/5 Mark Talbot wrote --

>> How long a strip? That is the question!! I can only say the longer the
better.

I have 1100 hours now, mostly in an AA-5 Traveler that's no homesick angel on
the takeoff run (cruise prop).  I used to fly out of short strips, and IFR
even in icing conditions, but don't anymore.  I believe in having margins now,
ever since I was on an air carrier MD-80 that left important pieces of its
port side engine on the runway right at rotation.  It had the power on one
engine to continue climbout, make a circuit to a missed approach (night, 300
and 3/4 in rain, sleet, and fog), climb out for another try at the ILS.  Made
it down second time, and used all of 9200 feet of slick runway to stop with
1/2 thrust reverse (blew a main tire in the process).  Excellent skill on the
part of those pilots.

All machinery is fallible.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident; heartened to hear you like the
Europa enough to go for another!

Regards

Fred Fillinger
A063 Tri-gear (working on fuselage)