Re: Fuel Tank

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:25:46
>If this is if of interest.
>
>We have been selling (I know its a dirty word)
>a very simple fuel level probe with VDO gauage.
>The system is very simple and very reliable.
>The sender is a straight (bent is more expensive)
>stainless steel tube with external 36mm dia float
>The tube contains a series of switches that are set by the float.
>
>Limitations - the meter changes in steps ( usually 8 in line with the face
>of the standard VDO gauge but can be more) - Orders of ten units make
>things much easier - You can't bend the senders - The senders are normally
>mounted in the top of the tank requiring an 80mm dia flat area
>
>Advantages - Dead simple - Nothing much to go wrong - Switch position can
>be set at time of manufacture to calibrate sender for irregular shaped
>tanks - Readings do not change significantly with fuel desity variations -
>Its cheap
>
>We prefer to sell to manufacturers because its expensive to make single
>units but I am throwing this out to see what people think. Wouldn't mind
>doing one for a Europa if someone wants to test it. Flying Europa prefered
>but not essential.
>
>Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I have been considering fitting an electric gauge in our Europa for some
time now, but have been put off by the high prices of suitable 'ready made'
types, and the hassle of developing one.  Your system sounds interesting
and I would like to test one for you in our plane (flying and available to
fit) if you can supply. Can you also supply the necessary details for the
P.F.A.mod.application ? Also the price.
I'm sure there would be a good demand for a reliable in-expensive electric
gauge to back up the rather in consistent sight gauge in the Europa.

Regards

Jim
Build no 39