Re: Tailwheel fitting`

Subject: Re: Tailwheel fitting`
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:27:58
In a message dated 11/01/98  18:11:41, Mike Clews wrote:

<< I'm going to use the modified tailwheel kit but am fitting the original
 tailwheel housing to the rear bulkhead keeping the original rudder
 control and driving the new tailwheel from that.
 Would it be sensible to insert distance pieces at the bottom of the
 mounting so the whole thing is vertical giving the T/wheel cables
 a straighter run to the new wheel?
 Those of us would like to winch the a/c onto it's trailer how about using
 the old tailwheel spigot as the attachment point?

Well that's how I've done it - but there is no point in inserting distance
pieces as a) the angle change is negligible, b) you would  (probably)  be
stuffing it into higher airflow,and c) you wouldn't have the advantage of
hooking the cables onto a 3/8" rod through the old tail fork mounting (no new
arm making, no cutting) as I suggested some weeks back.  I have in fact put a
streamling cowl round that bit, mostly for looks, as I haven't got a wind
tunnel to see if does anything else !

I have always winched on the old tail post, hence my question which Andy
answered last week about stressing the new spring.

Graham G-EMIN