Re: Alternative engine for

Subject: Re: Alternative engine for
From: Peter S. Lert <peterlert@montrose.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 13:45:15
1.)        Unlike a two-stroke gasoline engine, the Zoche diesel (and, so far
as I know, all the other new two-stroke diesels) uses entirely
conventional pressure lubrication (i.e., either remote oil tank or "wet"
crankcase, oil and scavenge pumps, etc.).  Overall, a two-stroke diesel
is considerably more efficient than a two-stroke gas engine: since
nothing but air is inducted into the cylinder (the fuel is injected
later), port timing is chosen such that the incoming charge (already
supercharged by a blower or turbo, or, in the case of the Zoche, both!)
completely scavenges all the combustion products from the cylinder.

        I've run the Zoche myself (alas, only on a test stand so far) and was
impressed by its smoothness and ease of starting.

2.)        Based on purely subjective experience behind and astride the 2-cyl
Franklin and BMW, respectively, the latter is an order of magnitude
smoother.

        Happy new year to all!

                                Peter Lert