Re: Tailwheel Mod -- OOPS

Subject: Re: Tailwheel Mod -- OOPS
From: JohnJMoran <JohnJMoran@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:53:29
John Baker recently wrote:

> I have made the plywood mock-up of John Moran's tail wheel steering
> and rudder arm.
> I am unable to get the stop drive to function. If stops on rudder arm
> push tailwheel arm to original stops, rudder arm cannot then reach
> the original stops. If stops not fitted, springs will have to do this.

I have been operating my modified tailwheel drive by hand while awaiting
delivery of the parts to allow connecting it to the pedals.  The parts finally
arrived, and boy am I embarrassed -- the geometry for the pedal to idler plate
is such that the pedals will not drive the idler plate to the stops.  I have
been concentrating on the spring drive, rudder limits, bearings, etc. and
failed to consider the basics. I didn't originally understand this from John
Baker's comment, but I clearly this is what he was driving at.

In my attempt to minimize the number of parts, I wanted to make the eyebolts
on the idler plate do multiple things. Nice thought but, in retrospect, not
good head work. Looks like I'll have to move things around a bit and try
again.  At least drilling more holes will lighten the plate.

If anyone else is getting set to pursue this approach, be warned that my
original dimensions won't work. Best to take John Baker's approach and make a
working model rather than one of cardboard as I did.  If and when I get it to
work I'll post again.

Sorry about that.

Regards,    John           A044