No Subject

Subject: No Subject
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:56:17
>In order to use an LED for a warning light are there any additional
>components necessary such as a resistor or DC to DC voltage convertor?
>
>I'm thinking I might use some LEDs for low fuel and low vacuum warning
>lights.
>
>In addition I might susbstitute an LED for the incandescant bulb that comes
>with the LR-3 regulator.

   LED's can be used to replace light bulbs by simply putting
   a resistor in series with the device to set the current
   through it. Most small LED's are rated at 20 milliamperes
   and they'll light up with about 1.8 volts across them.
   13.8 - 1.8 means you need to drop 12 volts at 20 milliamps
   in a series resistor.   12/.02 = 600 ohms.  You'll find that
   560 ohms is a standard value (you need a 1/2 watt resistor)
   and will work for the majority of your needs. Some super
   bright LED's need 60 ma so the resistor drops to 200 ohms . . .
   but these are way too bright to be practical indicators.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////
                     (o o)