Re: Flap construction

Subject: Re: Flap construction
From: Dr. Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 07:52:25
Further question:

Besides the point of accurate measurement, might there be a
STRUCTURAL problem in having used blue foam? I used a thin
cut-uff piece found with one of the blue cores which was straight
and of exact measurement required...

Why was this not mentioned in the original manual???????

Looking forward to receive a comment and hopefully confirmation that
this would not pose a problem. Roger?

Christoph Both #223, Wolfville, Halifax, Canada

Date:          Wed,
Europa <Enquiries@europa-aviation.co.uk> Subject:       Re:

>Hi :
>
>Did I get this right? I used the blue styrofoam as the manual
>does not at any time mention PVC.  Is this still ok?
>Flap is done so should I change something???
>Andy @ Europa what do you think?
>
>Comments welcome.
>
>Christoph Both #223, Wolfville, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
>

>Date:
><100421.2123@compuserve.com> Subject:       Flap
>
>>>Does anyone know why PVC (as opposed to styrofoam) is used for the flap
>rib
>sandwich?<<
>
>It's much stronger than styrofoam, and usually higher density.
>Graham

It would be difficult to cut our standard blue foam to the thickness
required accurately enough.  The PVC foam is available ready cut to the
correct sheet thickness.

The question only related to the flap rib foam, not the general flap foam.

Roger Bull