Re: new tailwheel

Subject: Re: new tailwheel
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 05:21:33
>The tail wheel has provision for the use of
>a guide/pulling hook handle  maybe Dave hasn't had time to make one yet  but
>when he gets round to it he is unlikely to shear any more pins I think.

I have made one now but haven't got the plane here to try it on. We are just
leaving to go back down to it at Martin Stoners to get some more training
(weather permitting)

>I would have thought that ideally what we want  is almost
>exactly opposite to that so that given a crosswind take off we would use a
>fair bit of aero rudder to move the wheel from the straight ahead which
>would give a healthy rudder movement  so that when the tail lifts the
>transision to an aerodynmic control from the tracking control of the wheel
>would have been well established  before!!!!   the wheel leaves the ground.

I agree about the theory, but all I can say is that the setup we have used,
as the message I put I before, works perfect in practice, as proved on our
test flight which was conducted with a 10 knot cross wind from the left.

Dave Watts.